LO2: Legal and ethical issues

Obscene Publications Act, its illegal to publish content that may negatively impact readers make shore content is not offensive and is appropriate for the audience. I am creating an small business art magazine,my audience is a ABC1 audience aged 35-50, my audience is 89% female and 11% male, because of theses statistics to relate to my audience I will use female models this means the audience will not want to see the models through a stereotypical male gaze and instead I will depict my models as an ideal self so that my audience can aspire to be like them. My models will subvert stereotypes of women so that my audience have positive role models that are powerful businesses owners, they will be represented as hard working while having emotions, families and values instead of stereotypes that label women as overemotional and therefore incapable of running a business/ working to a great standard, they wont be sole maternal carers that stay at home while there partner works. To represent my target audiences age correctly I will interview artists in the 35-50 year old range so that their voices are heard, instead of interviewing a younger audience that are represented more in media as I feel my target audience is under served. In my magazine I will showcase a range of models with different ethnicity and backgrounds these models will be accurately depicted by the models themselves as business and art is accessible to all.  

Libel Law, its illegal to publish defamatory content about a person or a publish untrue information. I will adhere to this law as I am interviewing real people and writing down their true word, I will edit what they say so that it is easy to read but i will keep their facts & opinions true to what they have already told me. I will ask the person i am interviewing how they want to be represented and ask for their consent if they want to be represented as a professional i may edit a casual conversation into sounding more professional. Examples of this are not sexualise their opinion, making them sound more emotional than they were in the interview and changing my questions from what I asked them originally.

Copyright, An automatic, guaranteed legal protection of a person or entity's original literary / non-literary works from: copying, distribution, preforming and adaptation from a different party. Allows producers of content to protect their intellectual property and for it not to be used without permission. I will ed-hear to copywriter law by taking my own photographs of small business owners, to prove I have permission i have got my models to fill out a release and consent form, i have produced my own assets e.g. masthead, cover lines, I will be interviewing Fired arts as they are a small pottery paint business I will make sure this interview is copyrighted by sending my transcript to fired arts for them to approve of what i have written in my interview , I will also get them to sign a release and consent form.

Laws of contempt, It is a criminal offence to publish content that poses a risk to justice in proceedings. prevent magazines from publishing anything that is too sensationalized about a criminal case. Due to my magazines theme of small art businesses I believe fraud is a highlighted crime in the art world,
This is an example of a court case my magazine would not comment on and give an opinion on. 
























Comments